Thread: Getting the new bike ready

Getting the new bike ready

Two weeks ago a local dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So instead of riding my faithful Tiger, otherwise known as the Oil Burning Pig, I'll be rallying on an 09 BMW 1200GSA

Spent the first week riding and having fun. Got the 600 mile service out of the way. Over the Memorial Day weekend I began getting the bike ready.

Centech AP-2
    Zumo 550
    V1 from the Tiger
    Phid's from the Tiger. Wired through a relay, tied to the high beam circuit, and switched.
    Added a Powerlet socket to the fairing to the switched side of the Centech
    Rewired the factory Powerlet socket. It was tied into the canbus, I wired it to the always hot side of the Centech.
    Installed a plate so I can use my Givi case on the new bike.

Today I ordered an Amplirider to tie the zumo and v1 together with my er6i's.

H7 HID's for the headlights will be here today from DDM Tuning.

Need to mount my Camelback.

All connections are crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk.
    All wires are sleeved.

Am I forgetting anything?

Just how to pick the proper route.

Oh, and you forgot to pick up the RT.

(Congrats on the new bike Andy, sounds like it's already set up pretty well!)
    If Poker's a sport, so's this.

cal24.com member
    I am riding a GSA also. What are you doing about the seat? 8 hours in that seat is pretty painful for me and I can not afford a custom seat right now. I know....sucks to be me!
    "......an imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan." General George S. Patton
    jafo@jafosadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by cal24admin View Post
    Oh, and you forgot to pick up the RT.

(Congrats on the new bike Andy, sounds like it's already set up pretty well!)
    I tried the RT, and I kept coming back to the GS. And then I demoed them back to back on Mt. Diablo and bought the GSA. On paper the RT is a beter bike for me but the GSA makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo28 View Post
    I am riding a GSA also. What are you doing about the seat? 8 hours in that seat is pretty painful for me and I can not afford a custom seat right now. I know....sucks to be me!
    You're not kidding about the seat . I rode 400 miles this past Sunday and it felt like I'd been kicked in the taint. Eventually I'll get up to see Rick Mayer but for now I'll just make do the best I can.

GSA Seat

Hey guys, I'll chime in. I bought a left over 2009 GSA in December, ended up buying a lightly used Rich's Seat off the Advrider forum, figured if I didn't like it I could always sell it to someone else. I've done 2 Saddlesores on it so far this spring, trying to get ready for the summer and I really like it, just as comfy as the Russell I have on my Honda.

I'll be bringing my 2004 ST1300 to the Cal 24 though as the wife is flying down a week later and we are riding back up the Coast, I might have room to bring the Rich's seat with me if you guys are interested in having a look, might help you decide what direction to go in the future.

I'm riding up tomorrow morning to have Rick Mayer make a seat for the GSA. Only four days until the rally.

I need to stop tweaking the bike already...

You're breaking Rule #21!!! You will surely DNF now.

Just kidding. I was futzing around with electrics yesterday, with no chance for a real shakedown ride before the weekend. Hope I didn't mess it up.

I was too lazy to go on a night ride to re-aim my HID's this past weekend. Now will have to do it either thu night or fri night. Every year I say I'll start earlier, and every year, well, here we are again.
    If Poker's a sport, so's this.

cal24.com member
    I did 600 yesterday on my stock seat. I was suprised to find I could still walk when I got home. 24 hours on that seat is going to be more fun than getting a root canal without any pain killer! I can hardly wait!
    "......an imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan." General George S. Patton
    jafo@jafosadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by cal24admin View Post
    I was too lazy to go on a night ride to re-aim my HID's this past weekend. Now will have to do it either thu night or fri night. Every year I say I'll start earlier, and every year, well, here we are again.
    Sometimes working swing shift has advantages I've been riding Palomares Canyon Rd. on my way home from work around midnight for the past week or two. I'm enjoying the twisties in the dark. I've just about got my lights dialed in.

Now it's off to see Rick. I'll know by the time I get to work this afternoon if I like his work..

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5987

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Now it's off to see Rick. I'll know by the time I get to work this afternoon if I like his work..
    Well? I've had my Rick's seat for 4 years now. No adjustments. It works great. I hope you have the same luck.
    ErnieA
    Milwaukie, OR
    '02 K1200LTE