Thread: Fastrak

cal24.com member

Fastrak

I live in So. Cal., and so far have gotten along fairly well without a Fastrak. I did run a toll bridge in the bay area once (I thought motorcycles were free) and got a small bill in the mail.

Now OC, SD, and the bay area have Fastrak tollways, most charge motorcycles to ride (doesn't look like SD does).

Anyone know of benefits of signing up for one over another (other than the obvious deposit costs?)

Nancy
    (anticipating I should get a Fastrak)

Yup, the only one I carry is the Fastrak. Once you sign up for it, it's practically optional to carry the gadget with you, as long as your license plate is tied to your account. The cameras on any of the bridges will tie the plate and bill appropriately.
    If Poker's a sport, so's this.

hmmmmm ....

what northern CA bridges toll-roads etc use Fastrak??
    ----------------------
    renojohn.goraiders.org

RallyBastard for life Cal24Master's Avatar
    All of the bay area bridges use fastrak, and the HOV lane on south bound 68 from Hwy 84 to Hwy 237. These bridges are the Richmond-San Rafael, Golden Gate, Bay Bridge, San Mateo, Dunbarton and Antioch.
    If you think things are going well, you're just not paying attention......

Quote Originally Posted by Cal24Master View Post
    All of the bay area bridges use fastrak, and the HOV lane on south bound 68 from Hwy 84 to Hwy 237. These bridges are the Richmond-San Rafael, Golden Gate, Bay Bridge, San Mateo, Dunbarton and Antioch.
    Wow!. I have Fastrak and have never used it. Got it for an east coast ride last year and it never got used. Maybe I can put it to use out here ....wasn't aware of that it could be put to such use in NorCAL ....thanks!
    ----------------------
    renojohn.goraiders.org

cal24.com member
    My question relly had to do with which Fastrak agency I should get the transponder from. Fastrak SD charges a monthly fee of $4.50 if not used for at least that amt each month, The 91 Express Lanes agency says if you sign up for the motorcycle transponder, you forfeit the no monthly fee if you ride in the wrong lane or use it in your car. Seems the Bay area agency is the easiest on the wallet and they don't care what vehicle you use it in. The transponders are all good throughout the state.

RallyBastard for life Cal24Master's Avatar
    The best deal around here is to buy the transponder at Costco. You pay Costco $25, then when you activate it they put $30 on it. You have to use a credit or ATM for automatic charges. I think when it goes down to $10 they put $25 back on it. You can also put up to 10 different license plates on it so you can use one transponder for several vehicles.

They also have a deal here now that you have to pay a reduced rate to use the carpool lanes. It used to be free. But you need the Fastrak to get the discount. The car pool lane on 680 is free for a motorcycle or carpool, so if you have a transponder you have to put it in the special bag it came in when you use that on the bike or a carpool so it doesn't charge you.
    If you think things are going well, you're just not paying attention......

cal24.com member
    I forsee a trip to the bay area this weekend for a fastrak transponder. Perhaps breaking in my new seat is the excuse to use as well as picking up a couple TOH sites. But then, I don't really need an excuse to ride.

You can order it online.
    http://www.bayareafastrak.org/dynami...up/index.shtml

Worth it even if you don't come to the bay that often.

cal24.com member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    Not nearly as much fun as going to Costco for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Heck yeah. Order everything on the menu and you're out what, $10?

cal24.com member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    OH YA hot dog & soda $2

OK maybe not that good, but you get free samplers

Quote Originally Posted by RenoJohn View Post
    Wow!. I have Fastrak and have never used it. Got it for an east coast ride last year and it never got used. Maybe I can put it to use out here ....wasn't aware of that it could be put to such use in NorCAL ....thanks!
    FasTrak is not the same as ez pass. So make sure you have the right one in place. I have both, but never got to use the ez pass (actually an I-pass, but works in ez pass areas too.
    Mark
    IBA 23491
    2005 FJR1300A
    Cal24 Finisher '07, '08, '09