Thread: 2012 Rally!

cal24.com newbie

2012 Rally!

Runner & I will DEFINATELY be there!!!!! We had such a Great time in 2011 that we wouldn't even think about miss'n this one!!!! lookin forward to see'n y'all again in 2012! The CAL 24 ROCKS!!!

/thread moved to 2012 Rally info forum
    If Poker's a sport, so's this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy John View Post
    The CAL 24 ROCKS!!!
    I agree! See you there.

RallyBastard for life Cal24Master's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy John View Post
    Runner & I will DEFINATELY be there!!!!! We had such a Great time in 2011 that we wouldn't even think about miss'n this one!!!! lookin forward to see'n y'all again in 2012! The CAL 24 ROCKS!!!
    We can't wait to see you guys again too! You guys Rock!
    Tom
    If you think things are going well, you're just not paying attention......

I am looking forward to a chance to improve on my 33 place finish in 2011, Yes it will be ruff but the fun I had last year
    was worth all the mistakes a newbe can make& I will tell you I made a lot, only thing I did correct was finish & smile a lot.
    Looking ahead to another interesting ride into the unknown.

Should be fun! Have you submitted an entry yet? The list is slowly getting up there, but I expect things to pick up in January as well...

Should be entering soon, trying to talk a friend into joining us. Last year I freaked out when I opened the rally pack, I am good at planning a route when I have a lot of time,but 1 hour I just lost it. Do you have any advice as to how I could practice my route prep or how do you do it? Everybody seemed to know just what to do & when to do it. Any help would be good
    Thanks Rob

cal24.com newbie
    I'd like to try this for the first time this year. I see the dates are June 8-10. Will the rally be run primarily on the 9th, meaning that I can travel on Friday and maybe Sunday? I need to figure out how much time to block out.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith -

The event itself is usually from early morning Saturday to early morning Sunday. Tech inspection is often done Friday afternoon/evening, and the banquet is on Sunday afternoon. Last year (2011), the times were shifted back slightly, so the event ran from noon Saturday to noon Sunday, allowing for people to still get through tech inspection Saturday morning. Seeing as the start location is similar to last year's, it's possible that timing will be used again this year. But either way, you should probably plan to arrive in Gerlach Friday evening, and plan to be able to leave the banquet mid-afternoon to dinner time on Sunday. Many folks stay over Sunday night and leave Monday, but others do get right on the road.

- Alex

Hi Alex,

Let us know when it is time to make our reservations, ok?

Ernie
    ErnieA
    Milwaukie, OR
    '02 K1200LTE

Hi Ernie - I hope that the rally pack will be posted soon, and it always includes all of the information for reservations. There will be a notification email when it is uploaded.

cal24.com newbie
    Howdy! I'm a noobie here thinking hard about doing this next event. I have one simple question; are motorcycles with sidecars allowed? I've got a 07 BMWR1200GSA with a Dauntless sidecar:

cal24.com newbie
    Hi guys,

greetings from Germany - I am sorry to inform you, that I am out.

Gerhard

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    Howdy! I'm a noobie here thinking hard about doing this next event. I have one simple question; are motorcycles with sidecars allowed? I've got a 07 BMWR1200GSA with a Dauntless sidecar:
    Great question! I would believe that it would be acceptable, but to be sure I'd contact either Tom, or this year's rallymaster, Allan Pratt.

cal24.com newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cal24admin View Post
    Great question! I would believe that it would be acceptable, but to be sure I'd contact either Tom, or this year's rallymaster, Allan Pratt.
    Thanks for the heads up! I've sent Mr. Pratt a PM.

Been awful dead in here with only six weeks to go...

Agreed!

cal24.com newbie
    Might seem like a silly question but what is the schedule, I see it is 8/Jun - 10/Jun but when do I need to be in Gerlach, NV? I am asking as I will be riding from Los Angeles and making a long route to pickup an SS1000 along the way and I need to book hotels for start and finish.

thanks in advance.
    John
    IBA #7640
    My Rides

There is time to checkin on Friday afternoon to early evening for people who show up that day. Also, there is a meeting Friday night that is recommended for anyone who is doing this for the first time. But - folks can do check-in and tech inspection early Saturday morning if they do get in very late on Friday. Rally ends mid-day Sunday.

cal24.com member
    I really don't mean to ask the same question that's already been asked, but schedules being tight...can you give me the times tech check will be open AND the start time of the rally? Seems like basic info to determine if the timing is right for participation.

Thanks.

Tech on Fri should be from 4 - 8 pm. Tech on Saturday needs to be complete before 9 AM, as the mandatory rider's meeting starts at 9, so if you plan to tech on Saturday it will be an early morning. Start time is likely to be around 10 AM Saturday.

2012 Rallymaster
    Hello everybody. Allan Pratt here, your 2012 Cal24 Rallymaster. Let me address the questions I see in this thread. The rally packs are out to those who have already registered; none of this is secret.

First, yes, this year communication and publicity have been a little light. Sorry about that. Cal24 President Tom Melchild had a bad medical issue in January and it has thrown his whole 2012 out of whack. He's in fine form now, almost fully recovered, and the rally is proceeding on schedule.

Speaking of schedule, we will have check-in and tech both Friday night and Saturday morning, so you can arrive late Friday or early Saturday without taking all of Friday off work just to get to the start. We will have an OPTIONAL rider meeting Friday night which first-timers are encouraged, but not required, to attend. Veterans are also welcome there.

Friday:
    4:00 to 8:00 PM: check-in, tech inspection, and odometer check for those who arrive Friday.
    8:00 PM: OPTIONAL all-rider meeting which is RECOMMENDED, but not required, for first-timers. All are welcome, none are required. Tom and I will go over basic rally concepts and rules, cover some of the things we'll say again at Saturday's meeting (but in a more relaxed atmosphere), and answer questions and tell stories until you are sick of hearing from us.

Saturday:
    Dawn to 0900: Check-in and tech and odometer check for people who were not processed Friday afternoon/evening.
    0900: Mandatory all-rider meeting, with packets handed out at the end.
    1000: Rally start.

If you want to ride but you don't get to Gerlach early enough Saturday to do check-in and tech before 0900, you will still be able to do them starting at 10:00. But you'll be on the clock same as everybody else.

Yes, sidecars are allowed.

Please respond, start a new thread, or PM me if you have any questions - anything at all. If you're sitting on the fence, if you're "thinking about it," let me say, come and do it! Don't be intimidated: the Cal24 has a reputation, which I hope to continue, of being fun and welcoming for first-timers while offering a challenge to veterans. There will be great roads and great people, and we'll try to see that everybody has a good time.

See you there!

-- Allan Pratt
    2012 Cal24 Rallymaster

cal24.com newbie
    Where is there a place to stay in Gerlach?
    Which hotel do i book in SJ?

Hi Rusty -

I just saw your entry come in, and granted access to the private forum with the rally logistics. All of the info is in the rally pack pdf file.

- Alex