Thread: White Stag Rally

White Stag Rally

White Stag Rally

Beatty, Nevada area. Usually in January.
    If Poker's a sport, so's this.

RenoJohn's 2009 White Stag Ride Report

Posted right here...

Ken Morton's 2009 White Stag Report

Anyone else going this year?

RallyBastard for life Cal24Master's Avatar

White Stag 2010

2010 White Stag Rally

For those people unfamiliar, the White Stag has been around a long time. 21 years as a matter of fact. It is also the only LDR event to be held in the winter. Over the years it has gone back and forth from an event with an organized riding rally to a “lounge rally” where there was a lot more drinking and socializing than actual riding. In many years simply getting to the White Stag has been a challenge. This year, thanks to Rallymaster Jeff Fisher, it was back to an organized rally.
    We were told at the beginning that we could either use Polaroid cameras or digital. Since Polaroid is no longer being manufactured and old stock is really iffy, digital is the only option for most of us. We were told however that if we used digital, we had to make arrangements to have the pictures printed before scoring. I have a small portable printer I use for my business, so it was not a problem. A couple weeks before the rally Bob Mutchler called me and asked if I was bringing a printer and could he use it if I did. I told him no problem. When Alan Barbic entered the rally at the last minute, I told him he could use mine also. Little did I know what we were getting into.
    On Friday afternoon after seeing many old friends gather at the Stagecoach in Beatty NV, and enjoying a few tasty adult beverages in the bar, there was a riders meeting. The traditional rider’s introductions were interrupted by Bob Stills collapsing in the front of the room. Luckily it was just his blood sugar out of sorts temporarily. It was quickly corrected and we on with meeting.

Mr. Fisher handed out the rally packs and explained that the rally consisted of you finding letters to spell certain words or phrases. You could get the letters by taking photos of signs pertaining to certain locations. You could also get receipts from towns that had the first letter in the name that you were looking for. There were certain locations that were allowable, such as towns/cities/municipalities, federal or state parks, whore houses, locations of interest inside parks that had signs, Indian reservations, historical markers/points of interest, statues/monuments, rivers/streams/aqueducts, passes/grades/canyons/mountains/valleys/lakes. There were also locations that could not be used such as: Road names, business’s other than whore houses, road signs giving mileages or having arrows or directions. Government service locations like jails, dumps, DOT offices, schools, offices, fire stations or churches.

These were the list of words/phrases you could spell:
    White Stag**
    Lotsofsky
    Lyle Grimes
    Sheep
    Shlong
    Twenty First
    LDR
    Nasty Whore
    Almost World Famous
    Iron Butt
    Angus Ladies
    Premier Winter Rider

You did not have to get all the letters in all of them, certain letters were underlined and given as freebees. You did have to get all the required letters for each word or phrase to get credit for it. There were also points to be had for participating in a “Nevada Style” event, which I will cover later….

Every rally requires planning, but this rally was unique in that you had to look for certain things that you had no idea whether there would be a sign with the letters you needed. You knew that towns and cities would have signs, but you really didn’t know if other things would be. You also didn’t know what monuments could be had because only the first letter of the first word on them would count. For example you could go to a monument for a Herbert Hoover thinking you could get a “H”, but if you got there and the plaque read “On this sight….” You could only get an “O”.

Alan and I took the paperwork to our room to see what we could come up with. The White Stag has always been a pretty relaxed affair for us, so we really weren’t taking it too seriously. Alan started adding up how many of each letter we could use, while I went the computer to start looking for possible locations we could ride to. While I was looking in Beatty for parks etc., I came across the local cemetery. I looked at the rules and figured a picture of the cemetery sign could give us a “D” and it would count. Then Alan and I started talking about it. I honestly don’t remember who came up with the idea first, but we thought that there would be monuments in the cemetery. Then we further thought that really all the grave markers were in fact monuments to the people buried there, and in fact when you buy a gravestone, you get it from a monument company.

We read the rules over and over again trying to see if there was something we were missing that would say we couldn’t do it. We could find nothing. Alan suggested we ask Jeff. I rejected the idea, after all that would give him the chance to say no. We started laughing at the idea of getting lot’s of letters without leaving Beatty. We decided that even if the pictures were rejected, it would be a really funny story, and worth it anyway. I started searching for other cemeteries we could go to. Unfortunately the only one a reasonable distance was in nearby Amargosa Valley. We figured two would have to do it for us.
    Now some may have noticed the double asterisk next to the phrase “White Stag”. That is because you had to spell that to be a finisher. Now Alan and I knew we were running the risk of having the cemetery pictures thrown out, so we decided we would get letters for that in the more expected way. That way would at least be finishers, and we could at least make it look somewhat respectable.

We were still laughing at the possibilities this plan presented when we went to sleep.

We got up early to get our odometers checked before the 5:00am start of the rally. We then went to the restaurant to have a leisurely breakfast. We didn’t want to leave with everyone else and run the risk of other riders seeing what we were doing. As we were finally getting things together to leave, I ran into Paul Petach in the parking lot. He was coming in. He had left early and the temps were in the 20’s. He said he was freezing even with his electric vest on. It was now about 7:00am, nearly two hours after the rally had started.

Alan and I headed north out of Beatty to get a picture of the Angles Ladies brothel which would give us the “A” we needed, and also make it look to anyone watching that we weren’t doing anything different. We then got the picture of the “Welcome to Oasis Valley” sign for a “W”. Then we rode a couple blocks to try to find a park that didn’t exist, and finally to the Desert Hills Cemetery. We took a picture of the sign for a “D” and went through the gate. We started taking pictures of the gravestones, and checking them off the list of letters we could use. After going through the entire cemetery, we were down to a half a dozen letters that we did not get. Alan told me that he was sure that at least one other rider would have discovered this plan. I told him I really didn’t think so because it had taken us over an hour to get all the pictures there, and I really didn’t think anyone could have done it that fast in the dark, and we saw no one else there.

We were standing there next to the bikes and I mentioned to Alan that we had gotten all the letters we needed for “White Stag”, and we had yet to leave the city limits of Beatty. That got us laughing again, which was a pretty constant state for the rest of the day.

We next went to Amargosa Valley. After going through there, we were left with only a few letters we still needed to get every possible word and phrase. We were missing 3 U’s, 3 Y’s 2 T’s and interestingly enough, 4 N’s. For crying out loud, didn’t anyone named Nancy, Nick, or Norman ever die in this part of the country? As we were leaving the cemetery I commented to Alan that although I knew it may very well be short lived, it really felt good to feel that we had a leg up on the other riders at least for a while. Alan agreed, and further said that this wonderful feeling was indeed smugness. At that time we christened ourselves “Team Smug”. We continued on through Death Valley to get the required letters to finish White Stag just in case.
    We rode to Furnace Creek. There I ran into fellow rider Andy Mackey. Andy had decided to use a Polaroid, and had the only 2 packs of film he could find. When I saw him at noon he was down to his final 4 undeveloped pictures. Obviously it was bad call one his part for this. One the other hand, Alan and I had upwards of 90 pictures of letters at the same time. We continued on to Stove Pipe Wells and Scotty’s Castle.

We had all we needed and headed to Titus Canyon for the activities. We knew that guns, condoms and dildos would be involved in true White Stag tradition. We were given a choice of activities, both involving our condom. One was to inflate the condom, tie to a pole and shoot at it with a 9mm Glock. If you hit it the on the first try you got 10 points, second shot 5 points and third shot 2 points. Or you could “Sheave the Shlong”. If you put it on the dildo in less than 5 seconds you got 10 points, less than 7 seconds you got 7 and less than 10 would get you 2 points. 3 misses or over 10 seconds got you 0 points. I got the condom on the 3rd shot netting me a measly 2 points. However, Alan missed 3 times. This would make a difference later.

Talking to some of the other riders lead me to believe that none of them had thought of what we did. Most were commenting on how hard it was to get an “I”. I was thinking of all the markers we had seen that that started with “In Loving Memory….”. We got a couple more pictures in Ryolite on the way back to the Motel, and got there at about 3:00pm. The rally ended at 5:00 and we had until 6:00 to turn everything in.

It was at this point that things started to fall apart….. When we got to the motel room and I opened my computer to start printing the pictures it occurred to me that this was going to be much harder than I had originally thought. The first problem was dealing with sorting the 100 or so pictures that I had. I decided to rename the picture with the letter that they would count for. While I was doing this, Bob and Patty Mutchler came to the room to get his pictures printed. He looked at what I was doing, and couldn’t believe how many we had. He then told me that he had ridden some 400+ miles to Edwards Air Force Base and had barely gotten “White Stag”. He wanted to know what we had done. After swearing him to secrecy and getting a promise that he would not leave the motel parking lot, we told him. He got a strange look on his face, and then suddenly burst into laughter and screamed “Brilliant!” Then he said he was totally pissed off that he didn’t think of it.

I got done renaming my files, and told Bob I would print his first since he only had a few. I put his card in my computer, picked the ones he need, set it to print wallet size 9 up on one sheet, and waited. Then still waited. And waited even longer. It turned out that Bob had taken all his pictures at really high resolution. My old laptop had to process all the pictures down to the smaller size. It took over 40 minutes to print his 12 pictures. I had no idea if it was going to take that long to print Alan’s and mine. If it did, we would never get done by 6:00. It was already almost 5:00 and we hadn’t started printing yet. We really thought we were totally screwed.

I started sorting my files, creating a new folder for each work or phrase and moving the pictures for each letter into the folders. When I got each one done, I started printing it. Alan and I had both taken our pictures in low resolution, and to my relief they printed very quickly. I finally got all mine printed out and put together at about 5:40. At the same time Alan had sorted his out the same way and put them on a USB drive. After I handed my paperwork in, I went back and started printing Alan’s. It was getting down to the wire. I was in down to the last folder, and a big point phrase, and in my rush I didn’t select wallet size, and it started printing one picture per page. I had to unplug the printer and re-boot it. Alan left to hand in what he had. A couple minutes later he called to see it I had printed it yet. I had, and told him I was on my way to the scoring room. Alan met me half way across the parking lot, grabbed the sheets and ran back. He turned them in with seconds to spare.
    We knew before the banquet that it was going to all or nothing for us. If the pictures were accepted by the rallymaster, we would most likely win the rally hands down. If they rejected them, we would barely be finishers. When I walked into the bar, I was greeted by Reno John. He hadn’t ridden the rally, and asked how I did. I told him that this was either going a shining moment, or a bitter disappointment. There would be no middle ground. He asked what I meant. After swearing him to secrecy, I told him what Alan and I had done. He told me that he thought there would be 2 possible outcomes. One, they would reject the pictures and throw us out of the rally, or two, the other riders would beat the crap out of us for getting away with it. He did however offer that if I bought him a beer he would be on our side.

Just before the banquet started, Jeff pulled me aside and asked how in hell we had come up with the idea. I told him about finding the cemetery etc. He called me a fucker, and said good job. I figured at that time that it looked pretty good for us. Then Jeff said the next closest rider had less than half the points we did.

It was announced at the first meeting that ties would be determined by mileage, with the lowest mileage winning. Since Alan and I rode together, on identical motorcycles with identical tires, the mileage wouldn’t be much difference. We had gotten the same pictures, but as it turned out, there were still differences in scores. When Alan put his letters together, he used the phrase “Nasty Whore” which was worth 11 points. I used “Lotsofsky” which was only 10. Since we had only got one “Y” you had to pick one or the other, and Alan did a better job than I did. However, since I had managed to hit the condom with the 3rd shot, my measly 2 points put me one point ahead of Alan, 78 to 77. We had done this with leaving the motel over 2 hours after the rally started, getting back 2 hours early and only putting on about 250 miles. And most of those wouldn’t have been necessary.

When we went into the banquet room I immediately got a beer for Reno John. When I gave it to him, I told him “Now I expect that you will not pick up a pitchfork and torch and join the rest of the villagers.” John laughter and confirmed that I had indeed purchased his loyalty.

When they began to announce the top finishers, Jeff called up Eric Jewell, one of the best riders I know, Alan and myself. As it turned out, Eric had put in a MONSTER ride of almost 800 miles in less than 12 hours. When they announced that Eric was in 3rd place, he quietly asked me “Where did you guys go?” I felt a little sheepish when I replied, “Nowhere”.

Jeff then presented Alan with his 2nd place plaque, and myself with the 1st place plaque. He then explained to the assembled group, in an attempt to keep them from burning us on a stake, that we had simply thought about where we could get a large number of monuments in a very small area. You could just see some of the faces in the room start to smile when they all realized…. A cemetery!

Now I realize that some people may look at this at this and consider it wrong. However, this is what I like about the White Stag. It is still like the old days when someone who thinks outside the box, and stays within the written rules is looked at positively, not as a cheater. The only people who expressed any type of anger to me was at themselves for not having thought of it. Jeff told me that we had indeed followed the rules, and since they were all indeed monuments, he could not have taken them from us, even though he had not thought of anyone doing that himself.

So all in all it turned into a great story, we had lot’s and lot’s of laughs over it. Everyone had a great time, the weather was great, the company was outstanding, and I can’t wait to do it again next year.

Good job to Tom Almassy and Jeff for putting on another great event!
    If you think things are going well, you're just not paying attention......

Brilliant! Well done Tom and Alan. I am a relative Rally noob and this type of situation has never come up in any of the events I've participated in. That said, I have always been under the impression that, other than obvious exceptions, if something is not specifically prohibited by the written rules of the Rally, it should be fair game. IMO, that's the reason for all of the clauses and disclaimers - "It is expected that the rider will ride his/her motorcycle to location of the bonus being claimed, etc, etc."). Given the history of White Stag, it doesn't seem at all improbable that what you two did - could - have been exactly what the Rally Masters had in mind for the winning route. It obviously was not, based on their reaction, but it doesn't sound all that farfetched. I think, given the caliber of folks in attendance, there would have been a negative reaction if your "strategery" had NOT been allowed.

Congratulations on "NOT" riding a great Rally.

Fuckers.

Freaking awesome.

Great fun this weekend . I took a leisurely ride to get to Beatty, Hwy 25, Parkfield Grade, Hwy 33, Hwy 178. I had only been on 178 in the middle of the night (thanks Tom) and wanted to see it in the daylight.

The rally itself was great. Huge thanks to Tom A. and the Nasty Whore for putting it together. Got to see and ride with a bunch of great people I don't see often enough. Rode to a bunch of places that were on my list to see.

Congrats to Tom, Alan, and Eric for their rides. I saw Tom and Alan a couple of times throughout the day. Was easy to spot a fellow White Stag rider on the road by their high speeds and huge grins.

I came up one pic short of being a finisher but no complaints

I'll see everyone at the Cal if not before.

Andy
    How hard could it be?

cal24.com newbie
    Melchild's Law
    He who screws the pooch least.....wins!

White Stag Corollary
    Screw the pooch often enough....and publicly enough....and others won't notice when you ignore the pooch altogether and start screwing them instead.

I think you guys are very lucky Eric is a such a nice guy and sportsman...otherwise I'd sleeping personal pooch hole side down for the next year or two.

Epic win.

congrats

Tom and Alan, way to go. No doubt you two are very clever and creative. I am bummed out that I cud not make due to my surgery, felt I cud not chance getting a cold due to temp and windblast.
    look forward to doing ca 24 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jerry518 View Post
    Fuckers.
    Funny, we called that a lot on Saturday night and Sunday.....

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Delta88 View Post
    Brilliant! Well done Tom and Alan. I am a relative Rally noob and this type of situation has never come up in any of the events I've participated in. That said, I have always been under the impression that, other than obvious exceptions, if something is not specifically prohibited by the written rules of the Rally, it should be fair game. IMO, that's the reason for all of the clauses and disclaimers - "It is expected that the rider will ride his/her motorcycle to location of the bonus being claimed, etc, etc."). Given the history of White Stag, it doesn't seem at all improbable that what you two did - could - have been exactly what the Rally Masters had in mind for the winning route. It obviously was not, based on their reaction, but it doesn't sound all that farfetched. I think, given the caliber of folks in attendance, there would have been a negative reaction if your "strategery" had NOT been allowed.

Congratulations on "NOT" riding a great Rally.
    This brings up a few interesting points. In the last few years of the Iron Butt Rally things have changed dramatically. When I started doing these rallies back in the Stone Age, thinking outside the box was a prized ability. In fact Steve Chalmers has always encouraged it. It has only been in the last few years of this concept of following the "Spirit" of the rally has come into play. To some very vocal persons, some of whom don't even participate in any rallies, this type of thinking outside the box is a violation of the spirit of rallies. What this in fact means that instead of looking at the rules from the standpoint that anything that is not prohibited by the rules is OK, it is looked at that anything that is not specifically allowed by the rules is NOT OK. To me that takes most of the fun out of riding rallies.

The fact is that Alan and I beat the Rallymaster in the White Stag this year. No Rallymaster can ever be expected to think of every possibility that can happen during the rally. We happened to come up with a strategy that was within the rules, and the Rallymaster didn't anticipate it. From our perspective, he could have decided either way to accept the photos, or reject them. We felt that we were within the rules, but we certainly would have accepted the Rallymaster's decision if he didn't agree. He agreed with us, even if he didn't see it coming. I think the vast majority of riders agree with us.

I will say that I think some other people involved with other rallies do not look at these situations the same way. There are those that would look at this and think that we knew that the Rallymaster didn't intend for us to do it, and therefore even if it didn't violate the letter of the rules, it would be wrong because it violated the spirit of the rules. I think this is the wrong way to look at it for a couple reasons. First is that the rules should be the rules. If you are within them, you are playing the game fairly. Second, it creates this huge gray area if you not only have to base your actions on the written rules, but you have to somehow anticipate what the Rallymaster expects, and stay within that. I think this stifles creative thinking, and by doing that eliminates much of the enjoyment, humor and positive aspects of the sport.

I can say the Cal24 will never be like that.

Tom